Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Winterizing Your Hair

I love fall and winter seasons. I love, love, love the brilliant colors of the trees and, well, the only thing I love about winter is the low humidity.  It’s a press and curl girl’s dream if she wants to wear her hair down.  However, the cooler months bring on their own share of hair woes; mainly dry, parched hair that can lead to breakage.  

My regiment is simple, yet vital to the state of my hair.  I shampoo with a sulfate free shampoo.  Deep condition my hair every time I wash it. (Note: Look for deep conditioners that contain humectants such as organic honey).  Moisturize my hair and especially my ends before I go to bed at night (look for products that contain unrefined shea butter, coconut/olive oil, aloe vera gel or castor oil, for example) and sleep with a satin scarf on my head.  Unfortunately, I periodically lose the scarf in the middle of the night.  Thus, I always rely on my full-proof back-up plan; my satin pillow case. :) 

My choice in attire dictates my hairstyle during the late fall and winter.  Heavy sweaters and certain shirts tend to pull and be very drying to the ends of my hair.  Wearing such requires that I also wear an up-do that particular day.  Up-dos also lessen the chances of exposure to the cold, dry air.  Depending on where you live, it may be vital to wear a hat. Unfortunately, hats are typically made of wool of some type of material that pulls the hair or promotes static electricity when you take it off.  Consider wearing a satin or silk scarf underneath the hat to serve as a protective barrier.
Hair 180 Blog


In the winter months I am a heat blaster.  I cannot start my car fast enough to get the heat blowing directly in my face.  Upon arriving home, I turn my thermostat on high until it reaches a cozy level.  However, indoor heat can be just as drying on our hair.  If any of these behaviors are all too familiar to you, just remember that this regiment will provide you comfort while sucking moisture from your hair as well.  To ward off unnecessary dryness, put your hair in a protective style for the evening.

For those that love to wash and go, be mindful that wet hair and freezing temperatures are a recipe for breakage.  Your hair can literally freeze if water is on your tresses when you go outside.  Please make sure your hair is dry before leaving the house.

No matter the season, there are three things that I will always do: 1) Drink plenty of water and maintain a healthy diet. Without proper hydration, your skin and hair will appear dry and less vibrant.  Remember, water is key to flushing out unwanted toxins and is vital for every cell in our body. I eat plenty of dark leafy vegetables, foods enriched with omega 3, protein, calcium and vitamin C and try to keep my sugar intake low.  I am still a work in progress in sugar area.  I cannot seem to end this on again off again romance with my local Krispy Kreme. Sometimes I just give in to the "hot now" sign. I am a huge supporter of healthy hair and skin from the inside out.  
2) Wash my hair with cool or lukewarm water. Hot water can be very drying to our hair and strip away the natural oils that we try so hard to retain.
3) Keep my ends trimmed. To minimize split ends/ breakage, I get my hair trimmed regularly.  I have made it a part of my regiment to avoid those unsightly frays traveling up the hair shaft. 


So there you have it.  Be purposeful in your efforts to maintain healthy hair this season.  It may seem a little extra, but the results are worth it!

Visit our website at: www.hair180.net

Kind Regards,
Nikki Rushing CEO of Hair 180
704-724-7524

No comments:

Post a Comment